8 Simple Safety Tips Around Dogs
- Always ask permission from a dog’s owner before approaching or petting a dog.
- Pat a dog on its chest - not on top of its head or its ears.
- Supervise children at all times when a dog is nearby.
- Stay away from a dog that is tied up, feeding, has puppies or is asleep.
- If you are approached by a dog that makes you feel uneasy, act like a tree - stand still, look at your feet not at the dog and cross your arms in front of you - when the dog moves away just walk quietly and slowly away from it.
- Never tease or annoy dogs.
- Don’t act excited around a dog, or run away, ride, or play noisy games, close to a dog.
- Do not force anyone who is afraid to pet a dog. (People afraid of animals sometimes make a dog uneasy, and so more likely to bite.)