About This Site
This site was developed and is maintained by The Department of Internal Affairs, Local Government and Community Branch.
The purpose of this site is to provide information for the public, including children and dog owners, about behaving safely around dogs. It is part of the government’s dog safety education programme to:
If you have any questions, or you wish to make a suggestion or comment about this website, please use our feedback form.
- encourage responsible dog ownership
- inform the general public, including parents and carers of young children, of the risks that all dogs can present
- develop public understanding of dog behaviour
- encourage people to behave in ways that do not provoke a dog to attack
- develop public awareness of dog control legislation and territorial authority powers, including how to report problem dogs.